Enablees can enjoy a greener commute with our Cyclescheme benefit
At Enable we’re always thinking of new ways we can reduce our carbon footprint and protect our planet. Having already implemented an environmentally friendly initiative - Green is not just our color we have now introduced a way for our UK Enablees to enjoy a greener commute to work by bicycle!
Many of us use a road vehicle to get to work whether it’s a car, motorbike or travel by bus but these do more harm than good for the environment. The average petrol car on the road in the UK produces the equivalent of 180g of CO2 every kilometre, while a diesel car produces 173g of CO2/km. Generally, the larger the car, the higher the emissions.
According to environmental organization Hubbub, 50% of the journeys we take each day are less than two miles – meaning lots of unnecessary, excess pollution is sent into the air for journeys which could avoid using a car altogether, this is where the Cyclesheme comes in.
How does the Cyclesheme work?
Cyclescheme is an employee benefit that saves you 26-40% on a bike and accessories. It helps our Enablees afford a new bike as they pay nothing upfront, and they can spread the cost over several months’ payslips. This means your new purchase is cheaper as the payment for the bike and any accessories is taken before tax.
When the scheme comes to an end, HMRC will then ask for final ownership of ‘fair market value’ to keep the bike. With the amount of money saved on tax, you will have still spent less than buying the bike outright.
If you have any questions drop us an email via firstname.lastname@example.org
Environmental benefits of cycling to work
- By choosing to cycle a journey rather than using a car you are helping to reduce air pollution.
- Creates a need for more green spaces.
- Protect biodiversity – cycling creates less noise, less air pollution, and results in fewer emissions that are warming the atmosphere.
- Less noise from vehicles and idle traffic helps local wildlife to stay and thrive.
- Inspires behaviour change.
- Recent research in Europe found that commuting by bike instead of by car once a day decreases your transportation carbon footprint by 67%.
- According to data from Cycling UK, just 6% of urban passenger miles are from cycling. However, it’s estimated that increasing this to 11% by 2030 and 14% by 2050 could cut CO₂ emissions from passenger transport by 7% and 11%, respectively.
Health benefits of cycling to work
- It strengthens your muscles and boosts your endurance levels, so by the time you get to work, you’ll have more energy left in the tank.
- According to the Harvard Health Letter, a 155-pound person can burn as many as 298 calories in a 30-minute bike ride, if they pedal at a 12-to-13.9 mile-per-hour pace. A person who weighs 185 pounds can burn 355 calories by cycling at this pace.
- Beginning your day with a healthy activity like cycling wakes you up by boosting your circulation and allows you to start your day with a sense of accomplishment.
- By cycling uphill, fast or just at a quicker pace you will lower your blood pressure. This reduces strain put on the heart, in turn reducing your risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Riding outdoors helps you gain balance and spatial awareness, and stabilizing the bike can strengthen your arms, core and legs.
- Cycling can cause your body to produce endorphins and is a great way to forget about any stress while at the same time getting fit.
- All that pedalling is an intense workout for your legs. The more cycling you do, the stronger your legs will look and feel.
WIN a Marin Sausalito E2!
Cyclescheme are giving our Enablees the chance to win a Marin Sausalito E2, with an RRP of £2,595!
This modern e-bike will take your riding to the next level and features an uprated Shimano E6100 motor system for more powerful pedal assistance.
Submit your entry by 23:59 on 9th June 2022 to be in with a chance of winning.
Are you ready to cycle to work more?
Changing the way we travel can play a surprisingly big role in helping to protect the environment and improving our health. And as we hit the British summer, there is no better time to transition to commuting by bike. The weather should be warm and largely dry, and the days will be long enough in order for you to be able to ride both ways in daylight.
We can’t wait to see our fellow Enablees enjoying their new commute to work with their Cyclesheme benefit!